Friday, July 1, 2011

My Birthday!

Presents were not a big deal this year - I just wanted to make sure that C knew I wanted a birthday card. He broke down and got me a very un-lovey card.

My parents were able to come up for a fabulous birthday dinner and they brought me the best present ever: my SISTER! It was such a nice evening to have my family together and we ate some tasty steaks Mom & Dad brought. Mom had to remind us all that we needed to remember that it was a weeknight, they had to get home, and we all had work or school the next day! Did I mention that Dad and B went to the grocery store and came home with Oreos, lactose free ice cream, rainbow sherbet, and waffle cones? Best low-key birthday ever! Thank you all!

As I said, presents weren't a big deal this year. Until I arrived home Monday evening and C was working on something in the garage for me. I wasn't allowed in. When he was done, he came to show me because he never can wait to give me things (have you heard the proposal story?).

It was this:




I bet most of you can't figure out what it is, so I'll explain. It's twofold really. I had mentioned to C that I would like him to make me a thread holder thing - something to hang on the wall to display and let me see all the different types of thread I have. I wanted it to have dowels or spikes that could hold two spools each and mentioned that metal medium was fine. So that explains the spikes - to hang spools of thread.




The second part is in regards to C's grandpa V. He used to weld metal creatures out of old coffee cans (I think) and C's mom and I know C to be very talented and creative as well, so we've encouraged him to try his hand at it. At the top of my thread rack is a sculpture of a roly poly. Painted with the same paint used on the candleholders C fabricated for our wedding.




So here's the sum: C made me something for my birthday. It is functional, artistic, and meaningful - I think it is the coolest thing ever. Absolutely love it.

But there was more. I arrived home Tuesday evening and C was working in the garage again and I wasn't allowed in. He told me the gift on Monday was just a distraction and now he was working on my real birthday gift.




On Wednesday evening I arrived home to find C and my parents & sister there, with this huge quilt rack on the dining room table. He painted it green because he knows how much I love green. The quilt I had been working on was displayed on it - so sweet!




This quilt rack is every bit of four feet across and will hang on the wall in the orange room.

C is so sweet and talented and his presents to me even showcase how supportive he is of my quilting! I'm lucky.




Been reading this quilt book.




And this quilt book. Maybe one of these quilts will hang on my quilt rack someday!

1 comment:

the barnes family said...

Such sweet thoughtful birthday gifts! So glad you had a great day! Happy late birthday, by the way! Love you chica!