Sunday, January 9, 2011

C's Quilt

Little C is an amazing tiny girl. I met her when my dear friend M came to visit her family in early January. I was lucky enough to spend half a day with M & C (husband S was back home in Maryland), M's parents, grandparents, and aunt & uncle. My C was able to join us for dinner in Lawrence (M's grandma made the best cheesy potato casserole I've ever had!).

C is a little over six months actual age and almost four months adjusted age. Did you catch that? Little C was born to her parents eleven weeks early at 29 weeks gestation. So, M & S were expecting a baby in early September, and C was born one day before their fifth wedding anniversary in late June. It was a shock to say the least. Little C was born healthy and spent eight weeks in the NICU putting on weight and learning how to regulate her temperature. She is a darling fighter and I am so glad this segment of the story has a happy ending.

As M is one of my dearest (& oldest) friends, I knew I wanted to make something for Little C. Since she was so early and unexpected in June, I began to work on an "unexpected" and crazily-put-together baby quilt. This quilt was made with all the remainders and scraps I could find in my stash with pink/orange/blush coloring.

Crumpled in the sun on the front porch. This quilt came with orders TO BE USED.



Some of the aqua backing and quilt lines - still in the sun.



Shot of the back. I had the best laid plans for a completely aqua back with aqua binding, but of course, did not purchase enough aqua fabric. I do love the hodge-podge look though. My second issue was underestimating the amount of time it would take me to handstitch the binding to the back of the quilt. It looks so polished and finished, but handstitching alone took at least eight hours.


The front in all of it's strip quilting glory. I LOVE the colors and expect any little girl will love them as well. So many of these fabrics are tied to another quilt, clothing, or project I (or AM) have made, and I can only hope that Little C will love this quilt as much as I do!


1 comment:

Miriah said...

I love this. In case I didn't mention it enough. And your binding is BEAUTIFUL!!! Well worth your time and effort. Little C is a lucky princess ; )