Saturday, August 22, 2009

B's Quilt

I claim to not be very crafty or artsy, though I admire those qualities in other people. I wish I were more creative, although in certain areas me and creativity are great pals. I have so many friends and acquaintances that are just so talented! What I have here then is a labor of love. I have known B was coming since her lovely parents told me she was coming and then revealed who she would be. And I knew she needed a fantastic present. Jewels or clothing or toys or books were all wonderful suggestions, but I decided to make something just for her. I thought about it and cataloged that her mother, the fabulous AM, is a beach girl somewhere in her heart, and I knew that she was absolutely delighted in a baby girl and probably wouldn't mind some pinks, oranges, and blushes. A quilt was the only answer. And I knew just the fabric: Mendocino by Heather Ross.
So I designed a pattern and bought the fabric and waited. Then I read something about quilting and read a little more and waited. I cut and sewed and waited. B was born! I cut and sewed and quilted and now there was a gift worthy of this special baby girl.
A cellphone picture of the beginning stages. It was a pieced project, although not as intricate as some. The block pattern I designed for the quilt is at the top of the photo, but I'm not sure you can see it.
Since I have never quilted before, this was my starter, mini-quilt, that made me believe I could complete the larger quilt. I also think this little quilt is perfect for baby dolls, stuffed animals, and spit up. It is multi-purpose.
The back of the mini-quilt. I love the mermaids and swimmer girl. So much activity!
This is about half of the quilt with the back folded over. Needless to say, it is a BUSY quilt. But I am sure it is for an exceptionally bright and busy little girl.

More to show off.


The large quilt. I think it came out at 50 x 45 inches, or something close to that. I used bamboo batting because it stated that it was naturally antimicrobial and I thought that was best for a baby - does anybody know for sure?

The quilt did have a planned pattern in the craziness. Like I said, I spent hours designing just what I wanted. But of course, when I went to sew, I rearranged two rows and the result is, well, a beautiful handmade quilt that is a little random. I don't think too many people will notice. And did I mention that it was made with love? I'd take love over design any day.

A close up of four of the five patterned fabrics. We have octupi, sea horses (orange and blush), sea kelp, and the fabric with mermaids, swimmers, octupi, and turtles. I really think B will love it. I know that I do!


4 comments:

Kami Van Slyke said...

BEAUTIFUL! I have conceded that sewing is not in my bones. While I may be creative in other ways - anything to do with a needle and a thread is best left up to others. :) Bamboo is great for babies. It's the newest trend in cloth diapers.

the barnes family said...

I absolutely love the quilt! I love the craziness! I don't think it could be any more perfect! You are such a sweet person!

Miriah said...

It is absolutely Bea's favorite quilt. Well, currently we use the mini-quilt as her not-a-pillow, and I know she has mermaid dreams cushioned with your love!

nicole said...

What perfect fabric for little B! I love the mermaids and you did an amazing job! I can hardly believe you came up with your own pattern too! And to do such a LARGE qulit for your first one...you are brave and talanted! Way to go! Hope you made a tag for it.