Sunday, April 5, 2009

Starting in on the Bedroom

A few months after we moved into our house, my parents came up with paint and all the accessories and painted the dining room, living room, hallway, and spare room. They did an amazing job and we are so thankful. The previous owners were fond of faux finish (various techniques to applying multiple paint colors to the wall) and we are not. This change really made the house seem like ours. Last December (2007), C and I took on the horrific and unsanitary kitchen remodel ourselves and it looks MUCH better. Modern, updated, and again, more US. So, this weekend I finally got up the nerve to paint our bedroom. Dad had left paint with us about two years ago and I had most of the accessories, so . . .
Yeah, I might have taken on a little too much.
This was a few hours in, after gathering necessary supplies, moving furniture out, and staring at the walls. I'm not sure you can tell, but the walls are white, with a peachy/flesh-toned paint applied over them.
Another good shot of the "Before" paint job. Some visitors seemed to like it, so maybe it just annoyed me. There was A LOT of prep work to do to the walls because they are not in super good shape. A few hours were eaten up with washing, wiping, patching, and sanding the walls (per Dad's instructions).
Close up of the faux finish. Definitely "Before" madness ensued.
The room is painted right up to the window; not sure if you can even tell. There was also a small crisis with the paint. I had chosen a color called Sea Sand. I'm sure that I knew what color that was when I picked it two years ago, but in the time past, I had come to think of it as a milky coffee color, a very soothing brownish-taupe color. It was much lighter than I was expecting! So Dad told me I could add a darker color to it and make my own custom color. I added a little Happy Trails, the color we used in the Dining Room. I was also told that it would dry darker than it went on. So I mixed and applied. Then we left to go over to N&A's for dinner and a little get-together.
Saturday had beautiful weather, but Sunday was much colder, and I had left the windows open a little to get the paint smell out. That bedroom was COLD Sunday morning! We (notice how Caleb volunteered to help even though he was exhausted) painted the rest of the room, and then had to wait forever for it to dry to see if it needed a second coat. Of course, to cover the peachy color, it did need a second coat. Again C helped me out. And if Dad reads this, I never once got paint on the ceiling, but if you happen to look in our bedroom while visiting, please don't actually look at the ceiling. Please.

The color was starting to grow on me in the morning light after it had dried. It could be a soothing, really milky coffee color.


One semi-artistic shot in the bunch. There is some Pale Honey primer/Blank-It (awesome product), Sea Sand, and Happy Trails. I definitely got into the painting project over my head, but that's okay because I have C!

No comments: