Sunday, March 7, 2010

Laudable Accomplishments

Both C and I have achieved something cool relatively recently. I wasn't sure if I mentioned it or not. I don't have any pictures of these accomplishments, so you'll just have to believe me!
******************************
C received his license in December, which means that he is now an official LS - Licensed Surveyor. This is wonderful because now he is recognized by the state board and can sign off on his own work. He can make more decisions and is actually more useful to his company (not that I am sure that is possible). Therefore, his company is now compromised of THREE licensed surveyors and an instrument/draftsman. What this means when they bid jobs is that, without exception, the hiring clients know that a licensed surveyor will be in the field making on-the-spot decisions - and this is very desirable. I'm so proud of C for taking this step because the testing process is difficult and very inconvenient. He had to have eight years of experience and a degree (which is going to be a problem for future surveyors in our state, as C was the last graduate of the only now-defunct program in our state) before he could even sit for the first part (eight hours) of the licensing exam. The exam is only given every April and October, and since he passed the first part, he was able to take the second and third parts (combined eight hours) six months later. The percentage of people that pass any part of this exam the first time looks to be less than 50%. He passed the second part by a small margin, so he had to wait another six months (and study) before he could take the third part again. That occurred this past October (so it was a year and a half process in all) and we received his license in December. We are all so very proud of him for achieving this goal! I'm still looking for the perfect frame for his license, even knowing that it will probably just go on the wall at his office.
************************
My almost-accomplishment has been in the works since November or December as well. While I was looking for a new job during those months, I stumbled upon a teaching opportunity, and even though I knew it would be more of a second job type thing, I applied. Since then, I have gone through a phone interview, a group interview, a panel interview, a four week certification course, a certification test, and am now, finally, at the last segment: teaching the course. It depends on how well I teach as to whether or not I get the job, but I have to teach the five week course for them to accept me as faculty or to tell me thanks, but no thank you.
I am teaching an in-person class for a university that is better known for it's online aspect. I am set to teach a humanities course to undergraduates beginning Thursday. My master's degree is what has enabled me to seek this position and I assume that my charming wit and personality are what has kept the hiring faculty's attention for this long. I've been absorbing massive amounts of information about how to teach (facilitate) a class and tons of procedures and policies. I'm also in the midst of cramming the subject matter into my already-spinning brain. I admit that I am anxious and stressed out about teaching, but I think that there will be adequate pay-offs if I make faculty and the intangible rewards will be great.
****************
So, we are both moving up and around in our fields - trying to accomplish things and always trying to fix up this life of ours!

2 comments:

nicole said...

You two have so much to be proud of! Way to go C and A! I must say, I don't know much about cars, trucks, jeeps, ect, but I would say the jeep belongs under accomplishments too! It looks so cool, I had no idea you could have such a useful and fun hobbie! Well, now that you have both made me feel like an underachiever/slacker, I am off to cry...
Hugs!

Miriah said...

of course I may have already mentioned it, but you are one of my heroes! You are awesome, amazing, astonishing, and adorable!!! I am so impressed with everything you have been doing! Good job and I can't wait to see you!